Tuesday, August 15, 2006

1st there was Skype...now there is Gizmo


Checkout this cool new Internet Phone calling service

http://www.gizmoproject.com

It is available for various Linux distributions

If you have problems running Gizmo on SuSE Desktop it is because you are missing a file called libexpat.so.0. Before you continue make sure that you have installed the EXPAT library. Now you can solve this issue by making a symbolic link in the /usr/lib directory:
ln libexpat.so.1 libexpat.so.0

Now you should be able to run it




The Priest

quote: If a messy desk stands for a messy mind...what does an empty desk stand for????

4 comments:

Dreams said...

And... Gizmo supports Zfone, the end-2-end encryption protocol for VoIP.

See RealOpen IT (in Dutch with links to English pages).

E@zyVG said...

How does it work with SUSE 10.1 ... did you give it a try?

Last time I tried, few months ago, I was unsuccessful. If you were able to use it, let me know if there are any specific steps that I should apply.

Tnx.

The Priest said...

I have added additional instructions in the post. Now you should be able to run it!

E@zyVG said...

Tnx for the tip. Before I had much more problem, compared to this release.

Running nicely on 10.1 x86_64 with OSS library from Gizmo, as I wasn't able to launch with ALSA.

Will write a small howto on my blog, soon, with credits to you.

Now I need to convnce couple of my friends to register with Gizmo, so I can then compare it to Skype.

Also, I hope they will soon release a verion for Windows Mobile platform, as I have Skype running on my HP hw6510.